- RTAP: Teacher Consultation, Assessment, and 60 min. Zoom Discussion PLUS feedback on a follow-up class where you put your new knowledge into action
RTAP: Teacher Consultation, Assessment, and 60 min. Zoom Discussion PLUS feedback on a follow-up class where you put your new knowledge into action
Since 2 hours of RTAP is a requirement for each level of the Born to Fly Certification Program, this is the best option to buy if you are working your way towards a certification. However, you do not need to be going for a certification to take advantage of this amazing program.
Many teachers struggle to transition into the role of teacher from that of performer or aerial enthusiast. This service is meant to help you become a more confident aerial teacher through direct consultation with experienced aerial instructors such as Rebekah Leach, Julianna Hane and Elizabeth Stich. Our goal is to help teachers not only talk the talk, but walk the walk, demonstrating and verbally explaining skills with safety and clarity to help your students find success in your classes.
- We can affirm for you what is working well in your classes.
- We can answer your questions on a range of issues including classroom management, learning styles, safe practices, lesson plans, body language and delivery, and other challenges.
- We can make recommendations for more extensive training options to take your teaching to the next level.
- By completing this program, you will be completing a requirement of the Born to Fly™ Certification Program, taking you one more step forward in your growth as an aerial teacher.
What makes this consultation special?
Members of our staff, including Julianna and Elizabeth are Certified Laban Movement Analysts, meaning they will not only analyze what you are teaching, but how you are teaching it through your body language. You will receive tips to help you become more connected in your movement and presentation so that you can more clearly communicate and express ideas to your students. All members of our staff are highly experienced aerial teachers who can share what they have learned through years of experience in the classroom and point out things to consider that you may not have thought of yet.
How will I receive feedback?
The most basic option is to receive a personal written assessment. A consultant will watch your video and give you personalized feedback based on your interests from the questionnaire. This feedback is THOROUGH. Typically, a feedback report is 3-4 pages or a 30-50 min personal video discussing your class. You will learn a lot about your teaching style!
If you purchase the option that includes a zoom follow-up, feel free to come with questions and your mentor will also come with ideas for how to make your classes even more awesome! This real-time discussion uses the written or verbal assessment as a starting point to address your deeper questions about teaching.
How does it work?
- Film yourself teaching a 60-90 min. class of your choice. Be sure your voice is audible, and that both you and the students are visible in the video. We’ll be able to give you the most accurate feedback if we can adequately see and hear your class in action, so you may want to have someone film you. Make sure to obtain permission from your students prior to filming them. Let them know that it is for feedback and will remain confidential. We will not use your video outside the purposes of this assessment unless we ask permission to do so.
- Send your video to firstname.lastname@example.org. There are a couple ways to send your video. You can also use a dropbox, Google drive, or send us a link to your video on youtube or vimeo (which can be unlisted).
- When you send your video, make sure to attach your teacher questionnaire (see below). This form will help us give you relevant feedback that supports your needs and goals.
When will I receive feedback?
We will send written feedback within 1-2 weeks of receiving the video. If you choose the Skype feedback session, you will receive an email to schedule that conversation at your convenience.
Teacher Questionnaire (include answers when you submit your teaching video)
1. What is the background of the students in this class which we will be observing?
2. Why are you interested in receiving feedback? What are your goals?
3. Which topics below that are most relevant to your teaching needs?
- Learning styles/teaching styles
- Classroom management
- Lesson planning
- Facilitating creative lessons
- Safety procedures such as spotting, etc.
- Working with specific populations
- Body language, use of voice, delivery, etc. (How you’re presenting your lesson)